Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Peri Anal Abscess

Hi, Firstly what a great and informative site.

My question is:

For years (approx.7) I have regularly had a pain and swelling on the left buttock (inner). It has always corrected it self. But recently, the swelling got worse and large and i went to the doctors who diagnosed it as a peri anal abscess. Why after years would it turn into an abscess when it has always gone away on its own? I had to go into hospital on this occasion to have it drained. Also, is it associated with HIV or Aids?

Thanks for your help.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Perianal abscesses are not part of HIV disease. You were lucky previously, when the abscess apparently resolved on its own, and less lucky this time around.

RE: Tonsils
Can Thrush be transmitted