Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Gland Problems

Dr Feinberg, 1 answer to my question's could really make the world of difference. I have tested HIV- 3months after a possible exposure - this is fantastic and I thank God, however, I am close to 5 months and in between 3 and 5 months I have had a possible rash or hives (i'm not sure) recurring sore throat and swollen glands in my groin and armpits. Please help me and answer this - 1)Is 3 months enough to know for sure that you are HIV- if there were no other exposures? 2)Would glands swell up so soon after a possible infection? 3)Is being intentionally pricked with a needle high or low risk? I did not see any blood but cannot be 100 sure.

Dr Feinberg, you are my last chance -my hospital have said that the 3 month test is sufficient and that because I was HIV- the symptoms are not related to HIV. Due to this they have a policy of not retesting at 6 months in my case. I have no other clinics nearby and just need an answer of someone I trust. I apologise for the length of this but I really could use a good nights sleep. Please Help - Thankyou for the service you and your colleagues provide.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

A negative test at 3 months if there were no other exposures should suffice. Glands (lymph nodes) come and go all the time from a large number of causes of which HIV is only one. A needlestick can be high risk, especially if there was visible blood, but only if the person's blood it contained has HIV. Try to relax.

TB and HIV
HIV+ & dies 1 year later