Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Gland Problems
Jan 21, 2002

Dr Feinberg, 1 answer to my question's could really make the world of difference. I have tested HIV- 3months after a possible exposure - this is fantastic and I thank God, however, I am close to 5 months and in between 3 and 5 months I have had a possible rash or hives (i'm not sure) recurring sore throat and swollen glands in my groin and armpits. Please help me and answer this - 1)Is 3 months enough to know for sure that you are HIV- if there were no other exposures? 2)Would glands swell up so soon after a possible infection? 3)Is being intentionally pricked with a needle high or low risk? I did not see any blood but cannot be 100 sure.

Dr Feinberg, you are my last chance -my hospital have said that the 3 month test is sufficient and that because I was HIV- the symptoms are not related to HIV. Due to this they have a policy of not retesting at 6 months in my case. I have no other clinics nearby and just need an answer of someone I trust. I apologise for the length of this but I really could use a good nights sleep. Please Help - Thankyou for the service you and your colleagues provide.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

A negative test at 3 months if there were no other exposures should suffice. Glands (lymph nodes) come and go all the time from a large number of causes of which HIV is only one. A needlestick can be high risk, especially if there was visible blood, but only if the person's blood it contained has HIV. Try to relax.

Previous
TB and HIV
Next
HIV+ & dies 1 year later

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.