Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

TB and HIV

Dear Doctor. I had TB 12 years ago and was cured. I only learnt recently that my girl friend of 5 years was HIV +. I only engaged in a low risk activities (no vaginal and anal sex whatsoever), would TB be one of the symptoms that I would contract and if I do contract TB, how long after the exposure would this occur. I do have a persistent sore throat for the past 5 weeks after having learnt of her HIV status. Thanks for the great job.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

The TB that you had 12 years ago will not automatically return even if you have caught HIV from your girlfriend. You need to be tested for HIV, and if you are positive, you need to share the information about the old Tb with your doctor so that you can be monitored appropriately. But don't waste any energy worrying about this is advance-- you don't even know if you're HIV yet. Good luck!

Sinusitus
Gland Problems