Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Abdominal Pain and Tenderness

Dear Dr. Feinberg, I am and HIV + femal, 31 y/o with recent labs of CD-4 90 and VL 653. For the past several days I have been experiencing moderate to high abdominal pain in the LUQ of my abdomen unrelieved by any therapy I've tried, including OTC pain meds, additional rest, hot baths, etc. The affected area is just below the floating ribs and nearly midline, and the pain intensifies with deep breathing or coughing. The area is also tender to touch of any kind. I have noted no distention or masses in the area and there is no associated nausea or vomiting. Could this be a spleen problem or can other things cause these symptoms? If so, what causative factors are possible and how can I fix them. Thanks so much for your help and support!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

The possible range of problems with the complaints you describe is huge, and many are not related to HIV disease. You really need to be examined by a physician who can ask you the right questions and order the right tests to make a definitive diagnosis. Good luck!

Indeterminate HIV Test
Oral Thursh