The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Not TB, What It could be?
Jan 13, 2002

Dear Doc, I found a lump before 4 months in my right arm pit. i had excisional biopsi and the pathologist said caseous granulomatous inflamation. I went to infectious deeasse specialist. He asked for tissue culture and started medication for TB (as you answered me a month ago). Now, tissue culture do not show anything. My HIV test came out to be negative.

How reliable are these tests? My only exposure was 12 yrs ago and my blood counts and chem panels and x-ray is fine. Should I be assured with the result of the HIV test?

Now, my doctor wants to do CT scan of the whole body to see if there is some thing.

I have been started with the suspicion of HIV and TB and end up with nothing. What it could be?

If lymphoma, should the patholost not found the malignant cell?

Please answer me, what do you think?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

There are other infections besides TB that can cause granulomatous inflammation such as histoplasmosis, but caseous granulomas are pretty specific for TB. The findings from your biopsy are not at all consistent with a diagnosis of lymphoma. Luckily, your HIV test is negative, and if your possible exposure was 12 years ago, then the HIV test result is very reliable. CT scan may show evidence of an abnormality at another site that can be evaluated, and is a reasonable thing to do. You may also want to have the slides from your biopsy sent to an expert pathologist for a second opinion. Good luck!

HIV individual interacting with non-HIV child
Question for the good doctor.

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint