Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Taking a med break
Oct 2, 2000

Dear Doctor, I will be unable to obtain my HAART treatment for one month because I do not have enough money. Is there any serious risk in taking a break from the drugs for one month until I start my new job? My CD4 count is around 268, and my viral load is undetectable. I have been fairly consistent about taking the drugs since I started, one year ago. When I do stop taking the drugs (this is not a matter of if, because there is no way I can find the $1000 before I start working again), should I stop all at once, or should I gradually reduce dosage? Thank you. -- Poverty Stricken

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You are in a tough situation, but never NEVER reduce the dosage gradually -- that will only encourage your HIV to become resistant. If you have an undetectable viral load now, then stop all the drugs at the same time -- your viral load will become detectable and your T cells may slip a bit, but as long as your HIV remains sensitive everything will improve when you have the money to restart your medicines. I empathize -- it's a terrible thing to have to choose between medication and other life essentials. Good luck!

Previous
Widespread warts
Next
Colonoscopy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.