Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Fungus and Sinuses--and HIV?

What does the latest discovery -- that fungi are often the culprits in sinusitis cases -- mean for those of us with HIV? What kinds of fungi are involved? Are systemic treatments effective?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

The discovery that there fungi are frequent inhabitants of the sinuses of people with chronic sinus infection is very new, and the information you're asking for is not really available yet. What I took away from this study is that I might consider adding an oral antifungal to my patients with chronic sinusitis that has responded fully to antibiotics, especially those with advanced disease. That is clearly my intuition from limited data, and shouldn't be interpreted as the current standard of care.

Possible CMV?
BRAIN SWELLING