Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Possible CMV?

My CD4's are above 400 and my VL is undetectable. I'm currently on Combivir and Crixivan. Recently I've experienced strange vision problems. A small white spot appears in the middle of my vision, like when you look at a flash bulb. It grows bigger then moves off the to side and vanishes. This process usually takes 20-30 minutes. It happens infrequently and without a noticeable pattern or cause. (Infrequently = every 2 weeks or so.) I tested positive for CMV a year ago, but at a low count. Is this a possible sign of CMV with my CD4's so high?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You don't say where your T cells were when you started treatment for HIV or how long you've been on these medicines, so it's really hard for me to hazard a guess about whether you have an "immune reconstitution" syndrome. When you are told you have a "+ test for CMV", usually that means that you were exposed to (infected by) CMV at some point in the past, not that the infection is active now. Your symptoms do not sound typical of CMV retinitis, but I suggest you see an eye doctor to get this problem sorted out.

cryptococcal nephoma and cryptococcus laurntii
Fungus and Sinuses--and HIV?