Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

cryptococcal nephoma and cryptococcus laurntii
Oct 9, 2000

my husband has been told he has cryptococcal meningitis and cryptococcus larentii he was sick about 4 months ago with fever headache vomiting stiff neck so on he had mri it showed a mass at the brain stem then he had spinal tap which showed protein at 81 we were told it should be 15 - 45 then a bone scan showed hot pockets in the ankle shoulders and knees the dr said he was lost did not know what it was over 4 weeks later he calls and said he tested + for these cryptococcal things now they want to do a second spinal tap every thing i read said time is our best action against this what should i do i dont want to wait 4 more weeks for treatment! please help in any way you can thanks

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I agree with you: time is of the essence and if your husband has cryptococcal antigen in the fluid taken from the spinal tap, or cryptococcus was grown from this fluid, then he should be treated as soon as possible.

Previous
West Nile Virus
Next
Possible CMV?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.