Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

KNOWN HIV PATIENT WITH DEEP NEEDLE STICK AND INJECTION OF HER BLOOD

I WAS DOING A BLOOD DRAW AT A PATIENTS HOUSE. WHILE I WAS GETTING IT ALL TOGETHER HER LITTLE ONE GRABBED UP THE SYRINGE THAT WAS FULL OF HER BLOOD, AS I GRABBED FOR THE SYRINGE HER CHILD ACCIDENTALLY STUCK ME AND ACTUALLY EVEN PUSHED ABOUT 4-8 CC'S OF HER BLOOD IN ME. HER CD4 IS UP OVER 800 AND HAS A VERY LOW VIRAL LOAD. WHAT ARE MY CHANCES OF NOW BEING HIV POS. I GUESS, I REALLY ALREADY KNOW I AM. MORE TO THE POINT, HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL THE HIV ACTUALLY WILL SHOW IN MY BODY? PLEASE ANSWER AS SOON AS YOU CAN, THANX!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You should talk to your employer or your employee health coverage as soon as possible. The lower the patient's viral load, the better the chance of avoiding infection is, but infections can still happen even when viral loads are very low. You should be offered "post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP)" for 4-6 weeks with a combination of drugs that this patient's HIV is likeliest to respond to, to minimize the possibility of transmission. You should do this AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. You could be lucky!

help
pseudomonas pneumonia