Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

SHOULD I WAIT THE 3MNTHS????

I WROTE IN ABOUT THE NEEDLE STICK AT THE PATIENTS HOUSE. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR RESPONDING. THE BEST INFORMATION, THAT I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO GET IS THAT IT WOULD TAKE AT LEAST 3 MONTHS BEFORE HIV, CAN EVEN SHOW FROM THIS EXPOSER. I HAD A TEST DONE A YEAR AGO, I HAVE ONE DONE EVERY YEAR DUE TO THE WORK I DO. IT WAS NEGATIVE. SO, SHOULD I WAIT THE 3 MONTHS TO GET TESTED OR COULD THIS SHOW UP SOONER? I TRULY APPRECIATE THE HELP. I WAS TOLD WAIT THE 3MNTHS BUT START TREATMENT. IS THIS WHAT YOU THINK IS CORRECT??

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I think it's correct to start treatment as soon as possible. Some people show evidence of seroconversion earlier than 3 months -- this may happen at 6-8 weeks, but sometimes it takes longer, hence the general recommendation to wait 3 months. The reason you should have a baseline HIV test now is to find out whether you have picked up HIV even before this recent needlestick episode. Good luck!

Should I BE Watching??
anal warts