Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Should I BE Watching??

Firstly, thank you for this forum..It has been extremely helpful. I found out that I was positive one year ago...I believe that I converted sometime in 1997...I had a bout with meningitis(spelling??)in the summer of 1997, but wasn't tested until Sept 1999....Anyway- I am not nor have never been on any meds...my stats are as follows starting with the first time I was tested and then about every three months after....VL16,600/TC660...VL17,000/TC1084...VL8,400/TC786...VL18,000/TC771...VL12,850/TC641...VL31,000/TC756- this was Sept. 2000. My question is, should I be concerned about OI's...if so, what kind and what to look for...I have had rashes on my neck and chest recently....Again, I am not and have never been on Meds....Also, I am under the care of a HIV specialist...He has basically said that he would not put me on any meds with the stable stats that I am experiencing...Would I be concerned a slow progressor...and does that mean progressing to need Meds or to AIDs defining??? I would greatly appreciate your insight!!! Thank you.....Should I BE.....

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You are not at any risk of OIs at this time. Although your immune system has your HIV under reasonable control, it is much too early to say whether you are going to progress at a typical or a slower rate. Progression means your immune system is showing more damage, and it is the damage that would move your doctor to recommending treatment.

Transplant Patient with CMV Infection
SHOULD I WAIT THE 3MNTHS????