Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What are the stages of AIDS?
Oct 26, 2000

My brother found out he had AIDS about 3 years ago. We were told there are 10 stages to this disease. They say he is now in stage 7. I would like to know about each of the stages there is so that we will know what to expect before it gets really bad. My Mom is feeling all kinds of feelings and she don't understand. None of us do. Is there anything we can do to help her and him? She is fighting this alone because my Step-Father refuses to acknowledge the fact that he has a gay son who is terminally ill.

You can e-mail me at ....

Thank you,

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You were misinformed. There is no such thing as "10 stages of AIDS"-- there is only "HIV infection" or "HIV disease", which means the part of the illness before someone develops AIDS, and AIDS itself. There is terrific medicine available that can make a big difference in someone's life, even if they already have AIDS. If your brother isn't being seen by an expert in HIV/AIDS, you need to get him to such a person as soon as possible. Things may not be as hopeless as you think. You can locate experienced treaters in your area through lists available from the US Public Health Service/Centers for Disease Control. Good luck!

Previous
Chicken Pox Problems
Next
blood in semen

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.