Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

cytomegalovirus/ Congenital

My friend has had a son born with CMV. It was contracted whilst in the womb and has been born with CMV and has been diagnosed as being deaf in one ear, moderate learning disabilities, delayed speech etc. Do you have any information on long term prognosis and expected future health problems?

please email me and I will pass on the information.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Congenital CMV causes exactly the kinds of problems that have already been diagnosed in this child. Children born with CMV may excrete the virus (in urine, for example) for months to years, and so can be a source of infection to others. Since I am not a pediatrician, I cannot tell you what the long-term prognosis is. Some experts would treat such a child with anti-CMV drugs, although I think it is not known how much this may affect the child's future course.

On the move
Skin breakouts with HIV/AIDS