For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

What can be done for recurrent HSV infection in an HIV positive male with some resistance to acyclovir ? Outbreaks are on average once every six weeks and he is on suppressive therapy . His labs are good CD4 between 825 and 1014 with undetectable levels of HIV in his blood . Are any herbal medicines helpful ?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I know of no herbs that will help prevent HSV. What does "some" resistance to acyclovir mean? Has he been tested for resistance? That would be very unusual in a person with normal or near-normal CD4 cell counts. Also -- how faithfully is he taking his medication and is he getting the right dose? I have found that some physicians prescribe doses of acyclovir that are too low to be really effective.

Breathing problems (related to medications)