Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Lung problems

Thank you very much for this great site. My question is this: I recently had a chest x-ray that showed small white dots that my doctor said was caused by scarring of the lungs. I have no other symptoms, other than sharp pains deep within my chest wall that goes away when lying down on my side. Have had this pain for around 8 months. I am worried about it being cancer, but the doctor says not to worry about it. Do you think his advice is correct, and could you tell me what other diseases might cause scarring of the lungs without other symptoms. I had a fairly bad bout of bronchitis a couple of years ago, but this is the first time I've had an abnormal x-ray. Thanks again.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

There are many conditions that can cause some pinpoint scarring of the lungs, including exposure to TB and Histoplasma. Lung cancer does not typically cause this kind of pattern. If you remain concerned, ask your doctor to refer you to a lung specialist (pulmonologist).

Bowel Problems
re:brain swelling