Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Bowel Problems

I have been + since 1988. I do not take any drugs. I have in the last two years stated to have bowel problems. I will feel that I need to go and do go but stool is flat, foul odor, and at times bleed. I feel like there is a block. In the past two weeks I have had fever and weight loss. I have taken Doxycycline for the same thing and it stops for about one Year. It has return this year and the medication is not stopping it. Please help me.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You need to see a physician who can order the right stool tests to look for infection. The bleeding may be hemorrhoids or something more serious, and you may need an internal exam (colonoscopy) to find out what is going on. You don't say anything about your T cell count, but if you've been HIV+ since 1988 and are not on HIV drugs, your T cell count may be dangerously low, making you vulnerable to opportunistic diseases. Please seek care from a doctor as soon as you can. Good luck!

CMV Colitis
Lung problems