Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

HPV

Thank you for taking time out to read my email. I have been HIV positive for about 5 years and have started taking the meds. I am on Crixivan, Combivir, & Viramune (sorry about the spelling). 4 years ago, I had problems having bowel movements and I went to the hospital. they did outpatient surgery on me and told me that I had a wart and hemmorhoids. Now, I am having the same problems with bowel movements and I did a self examination and saw a cluster of tube shaped growths in my anus. I was told that this is HPV? I dont receive receptive anal intercourse. How did I get this? Is cancer an issue? Thanks

Response from Dr. Feinberg

HPV can cause warts and prolonged infection can lead to cancer of the cervix, rectum, etc. It's impossible for me to tell over the Internet whether these are warts, hemorrhoids or both-- you need to be examined by a physician. People get anogenital warts through sexual contact, and it is possible to have anal warts even without having had anal intercourse.

red hard painful bumps within one year of infection
Wacky Blood