Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

red hard painful bumps within one year of infection
Nov 20, 2000

I recently was diagnosed with HIV (in May) possibly infected late last year. After a screening for a research trial my cd4 count is around 400/500 and my viral load is over 10,000. I am now experiencing these red hard bumps, which seem like zits but are painful and bright red and last longer than a typical zit. They show up on strange places like my forearm, lower leg, face, back. Once one appears and then begins to fade, another will appear on my body. I have yet to be seen by a doctor officially, outside of screenings for a clinical trial. Some other infections I have had include hep a + b, gnorrhea and herpes. My father had psoriasis. I'm not sure if these bumps are a just a result of hiv or from something else (another infection, genetics, both?)

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It's hard to diagnose skin lesions over the Internet, but these "bumps" sound like they could be folliculitis, an infection of the hair follicle, and certainly treatable. See your doctor for a definitive diagnosis.

Previous
Systemic candidiasis
Next
HPV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.