Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

infinite window period
Jan 6, 2002

i recently consulted a doctor about hiv. he told me that hiv will take years to detect and one can never be sure if he contracted the decease or not even after a year. is it true? can i simply go to any clinical or medical laboratory here in the philippines and ask for an hiv test or do i need to go to america to do the test? is 'hiv anti-body' test the same as an 'hiv test'?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Your docotr is wrong. As long as you do not interfere with the validity of testing by going out and having repeated unsafe sexual exposures, if you test negative at 3 months after the original exposure that should be close to 100% correct, and if you re-test negative at 6 months after exposure, you will have absolute certainty about the result AS LONG AS YOU DON'T RE-EXPOSE YOURSELF TO HIV. The "HIV antibody test" is the same thing as an "HIV test". You should be able to find this test in the Philippines.

Previous
Question two
Next
Could my Doc be Wrong???

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.