Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Diflucan and Thrush still there

Hello Doc

i was told by my doctor that i have thrush, one look and he told me that. my girl friend had similar symptoms and she was given some medications and she was fine. I had one dose of Diflucan and my thrush is still there. I am kind of getting worried why is it that my thrush not gone.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

A diagnosis of thrush can usually be made by an experienced clinician by just looking in the mouth; a definitive diagnosis can be made by doing a throat culture. There are 2 possibilities here: the diagnosis was wrong, or a single dose (you didn't mention the strength of the tablet) wasn't enough medicine. If your problem persists, go back to your doctor and ask for a culture and more medicine if he still thinks it looks like thrush.

What does viral load really mean
Question two