Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Immune Recovery Uveitis

My bilateral CMV retinitis has been inactive since 1996 due to my rebound in health. However, I now suffer from immune recovery uveitis. Have had one cataract surgery, and a detached retina (reattached through vitrectomy and laser).Lately my vision decreased markedly from 20/200 to seeing fingers a foot away and my dr indicated the uveitis had "flared up". It has since been treated successfully w/ Atropine and Pred Forte. My question is: is there any known cause for the eye to suddenly "flare up"? What are signs to look for before such a decrease in visio? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I wish I could give you a specific answer as to what might trigger a new attack of immune recovery vitritis, but there are no known factors to look out for. This is an unfortunate situation, because you are suffering as a result of your good response to HIV meds. You are being treated in the typical manner that vitritis is managed. One possibility might be to use systemic steroids (prednisone), but there are risks associated with that and no proof as yet that systemic steroids are better than local steroid eyedrops. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.

two episodes of shingles
Fluconazol