Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

two episodes of shingles
Jan 3, 2002

I am a 26 year old female, otherwise healthy, who developed shingles in a small area on the outside of my left thigh- was put on acyclovir, 800 mg 5X day- seemed to respond well. However, a week after ending the acyclovir therapy, developed a smaller patch of shingles on the inside of my right knee (the old area on my left thigh is still ok). it began to resolve on it's own within 24 hours of the rblisters appearing, and my doctor has put me on famvir, 500 mg bid. he didn't seem too concerned that i've had two outbreaks this close together, and on two different parts of my body. he says it's just bad luck. i'm really scared that this means something is seriously wrong with my immune system. any thoughts? also, should i be concerned that i will pass shingles to my boyfriend or roommates?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Shingles cannot be transmitted to others, but if your contacts have never had chicken pox, they may get that from you (shingles is just reactivated chicken pox, so you have to get chicken pox first.) It is a bit unusual to have 2 episodes so close together, but it also could be 'bad luck'. Get an HIV test just to make sure as it sounds like you are sexually active.

Previous
opportunistic infection and care givers
Next
Immune Recovery Uveitis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.