Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

two episodes of shingles

I am a 26 year old female, otherwise healthy, who developed shingles in a small area on the outside of my left thigh- was put on acyclovir, 800 mg 5X day- seemed to respond well. However, a week after ending the acyclovir therapy, developed a smaller patch of shingles on the inside of my right knee (the old area on my left thigh is still ok). it began to resolve on it's own within 24 hours of the rblisters appearing, and my doctor has put me on famvir, 500 mg bid. he didn't seem too concerned that i've had two outbreaks this close together, and on two different parts of my body. he says it's just bad luck. i'm really scared that this means something is seriously wrong with my immune system. any thoughts? also, should i be concerned that i will pass shingles to my boyfriend or roommates?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Shingles cannot be transmitted to others, but if your contacts have never had chicken pox, they may get that from you (shingles is just reactivated chicken pox, so you have to get chicken pox first.) It is a bit unusual to have 2 episodes so close together, but it also could be 'bad luck'. Get an HIV test just to make sure as it sounds like you are sexually active.

opportunistic infection and care givers
Immune Recovery Uveitis