|OK to donate blood?
Jan 3, 2002
I've been wanting to donate blood every since the events of Sept. 11th. However, I did have a low risk, unprotected exposure in May and was hesitant to donate until I tested for HIV through my physician. My HIV test was negative and it was taken past the window period (7+ months). Am I safe to donate now? Thanks!
Response from Dr. Feinberg
Since you are HIV- many month s later, then the answer is that you can donate blood. Understand that blood banks will ask screening questions about sexual activity and other HIV risk behaviors. If there is any doubt in your mind that you cannot answer their questions truthfully, then don't even attempt donation-- it's not worth the risk to others.
Is the seriousness of infection indicative of HIV/AIDS?
- Sinus Infection After Swallowing Cum Worried I Have HIV
- Sore On Mouth After Kissing Cut On Lip Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Licking Anus Worried I Have HIV
- Vaginal Discharge After Receiving Head Worried I Have HIV
- White Discharge After Swallowing Blood Worried I Have HIV
- White Spots After Eating Sperm Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.