Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

OK to donate blood?

Dr. Feinberg,

I've been wanting to donate blood every since the events of Sept. 11th. However, I did have a low risk, unprotected exposure in May and was hesitant to donate until I tested for HIV through my physician. My HIV test was negative and it was taken past the window period (7+ months). Am I safe to donate now? Thanks!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Since you are HIV- many month s later, then the answer is that you can donate blood. Understand that blood banks will ask screening questions about sexual activity and other HIV risk behaviors. If there is any doubt in your mind that you cannot answer their questions truthfully, then don't even attempt donation-- it's not worth the risk to others.

Is the seriousness of infection indicative of HIV/AIDS?
colds