Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is the seriousness of infection indicative of HIV/AIDS?
Jan 3, 2002

A dear friend was just hospitalized after his neighbor was not able to wake him one morning. He was rushed to emergency where doctors thought he had suffered a stroke. Since that first diagnosis, things have changed a bit and now I am very confused about his condition and whether he will survive. He has not been responsive for five days and the doctors have mentioned Lymphoma and Toxoplasmosis, but have not said which is the culprit of the lesions found in the brain, and why his brain had swollen to such a degree. I feel as though he might not pull through this. Does the severity of the situation point to a compromised immune system? It seems so serious and so sudden to everyone and we just wish we had more answers. As far as I know, no biopsy has been performed to determine whether it is hodgekins or non-hodgkins lymphoma. At this point I have to wonder if that even matters as his condition at present is so serious.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Your friend's situation is indeed precarious. Since his doctors are considering toxoplasmosis or lymphoma, these causes of a brain damage are indicative of a damaged immune system. The reason the docotrs can't distinguish between these 2 diagnoses is that they can look very similar on brain scans. The only way to know for sure is to do a brain biopsy, and he might not survive that. In these situations, the patient is treated for toxoplasmosis, and the response (or non-response) helps guide other decisions. I hope that your friend improves, but the situation sounds extremely serious.

Previous
I am got tested and found hiv-1 positive please help me
Next
OK to donate blood?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.