Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

HIV and Warts or Herpes and My meds

I am hiv+ and have been for 2-3 years now. I am currently on Sustiva, Epivir, and Videx. My cd4 is 415 and my viral load is 26,184. I've only been on the meds about a month now though. My partner who recently tested hiv-, contracted something and we're not sure what it is. He has several bumps on his penis. He have protected sex, but now I have the same bumps in the inner and outer anal area. Would you think this to be herpes or warts. And what effect will this have on my health and the progress of the medications, and what should I have done about this? Thank you for any advice you could offer...

Response from Dr. Feinberg

If the bumps are not painful and haven't opened to reveal tender skin underneath, then it is more likely that what you both have is anogenital warts. Warts are most readily treated when they are small in size and number-- there is topical medication that can be applied to the warts. Sometimes warts will regress when the immmune system is strengthened, but I wouldn't count on that-- I've seen plenty of HIV+ patients with good T cell counts and undetectable viral loads who suffer from progressive growth of warts. See your doctor to get a clear diagnosis and treatment. Having warts will not adversely affect your response to HIV meds, by the way. Good luck!

thrush
Diving, HIV and possible infections