Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

How long to be off HIV meds?

After testing positive for HIV almost two years ago, my son was put on meds and became undetectable. He had serious side effects from the drugs and was taken off a little over a year ago. How long on the average do you stay off meds? When he was initially diagnosed his viral load was 750,000, but responded well to the meds. I am a worried Mom.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

In my opinion, your son should go back on medications when his CD4 cells drop into a zone where it is possible for him to becomw sick. I would describe this zone as being 200-250 cells. You should understand that this is a matter of considerable controversy at the current time, and no one really knows for sure what is the absolute best way to manage medication interruption and reintroduction. But that is what I'd recommend to my own son if he were in the same situation. Good luck to both of you!

Lymphoma and HIV
thrush