Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

On the move

I've been hiv+ since 1988. Within the last couple of years or so, since starting the "cocktail", I've noticed that my bowel movements have increased to several times a day. And gas, a lot. That, and I urinate frequently. It's to the point where I don't go anywhere anymore (that's not near the bathroom!) because of this problem. I'm very healthy. Viral Load is 854 and my CD4 is 857 (knock on wood). This is so annoying. I've noticed, and my doctor is looking into it, the apparent loss of fat in my rear-end. While most people wouldn't complain much about it, I think there is some of that lipodysplacia (sp?) going on -- my previous post had to do with breathing problems, but here i think there is a buildup of fatty tissue underneath the muscle area of the belly which causes that tight feeling. Perhaps affecting the breathing problem. Anyways, do these meds: Crixivan, 3tc, d4t, zovirax... cause these stomach problems? Is there any hope, or am I stuck with this. Also, I sometimes have to take metamucil or I just WON'T go. Feel like I'll end up on a TV commercial soon! :)

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Most all HIV medications can cause gastrointestinal problems such as more frequent stools. I suspect that the increased frequency of urination may be due to the extra fluid you are drinking as directed so that you won't develop a kidney stone from indinavir (Crixivan). There are a number of different approaches that you can take, including taking an anti-motility agent such as loperamide (Imodium) or diphenoxylate (Lomotil) regularly, or switching your HIV meds around. Just to be 100% sure that the increased urination isn't related to diabetes, you should get a fasting blood sugar level checked. Unfortunately, no one knows for sure what causes the loss of fat from your rear, and there are no data to show that a change of HIV medications will improve this problem.

Breathing problems (related to medications)
cytomegalovirus/ Congenital