|Low white cell count
Dec 22, 2001
I have HIV and have low white cell count. I'm worried about how my low count will be affected when I have to take interferon and ribavirin for my hepatitis c?
| Response from Dr. Fried
Treatment of hepatitis C in someone infected with HIV is an area that is being studied very intensely. In general, interferon-based treatments do lower white blood cell counts, although rarely into a range that is low enough to contribute to infections. Studies are underway to find the best way to manage low white blood cell counts, sometimes with the use of another drug such as Neupogen that increases WBC.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Purple Spots A Symptom Of Acute HIV Infection?
- Probability Of Getting AIDS From Sex With A Prostitute
- Burning Penis After Anal Sex Bottom Worried I Have HIV
- Groin Pain After Rimming Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Skin After Rubbing Stripper Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Sore On Tongue After Performing Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.