|Low white cell count
Dec 22, 2001
I have HIV and have low white cell count. I'm worried about how my low count will be affected when I have to take interferon and ribavirin for my hepatitis c?
Response from Dr. Fried
Treatment of hepatitis C in someone infected with HIV is an area that is being studied very intensely. In general, interferon-based treatments do lower white blood cell counts, although rarely into a range that is low enough to contribute to infections. Studies are underway to find the best way to manage low white blood cell counts, sometimes with the use of another drug such as Neupogen that increases WBC.
Should we go back on treatment???
Role of liver function tests
- When Should You Take An Hiv Test After Having Unprotected Sex?
- How Long Do You Have To Have Sex To Get Infected With Hiv?
- Is Inactive Carrier Of Hepatitis B Contagious?
- Is Peripheral Neuropathy A Disability?
- How Many Times Can You Use The Needle For Finger Prick Test With Hiv?
- Hiv Transmission Probability With Prostitute With Condom
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.