Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

seroconversion
Dec 13, 2001

I had a sexual encounter which I strongly believe exposed me to HIV and Hepatitis, as I believe it may have inadvertently involved blood to blood contact. Over four months after the incident, I came down with pneumonia and thrush. I have tingling in my hands and a slight pain on the right side of my chest, below ribcage. I vomited bile one morning, and have a rash on my cheeks and neck. My liver ALT levels were slightly high (72), but antibody tests for HVB and HVC antibodies returned nonreactive. Also, three separate HIV antibody tests returned non reactive. All the antibody tests were conducted while I had thrush, (immunosuppressed?) but about five months since possible exposure. Should I do PCR for HIV and HEP? Would simultaneous co-infection HIV/HEP greatly delay window period for antibodies? Thanks for your advice.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

It is possible that the antibody tests may be delayed. The PCR for hepatitis C and HIV is nearly totally accurate. If you are worried, by all means get the virus tests. Good luck! DTD

Previous
symtom stages
Next
Should we go back on treatment???

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.