Test Result

Dear Dr.

After a severe bout with Hep B 1 1/2 years later I have the following test results: E Antibody positive E Antigen Negative Surface Antigen -Negative Surface Antibody-Negative PCR by DNA-Negative-no detectable level of virus.

What is my status, My Dr.wants to do a biopsy and suggested treatment for Chronic Hep B...I think he is off base with his diagnosis. My understanding is that treatment is for switching the antigen from positive to negative..

Waht is your opinion.am I chronic or have I cleare the virus.. also, would the vaccine offer any help in producing antibodies? and if not, Why?

I meet with my Dr. onThurs and would like to know some of the technical issues before we discuss next steps. He is rather guarded when it comes to questions and he may not be as helpful or knowledgable on this.

Please help..

Response from Dr. Fried

You indicate that you are negative for Hep B surface antigen. Thus, you no longer have hepatitis B, you are not a carrier and it looks like you cleared your HBV infection, which is what happens most commonly to those who acquire HBV as adults. If your liver enzymes are still abnormal, your doctor may want to do a liver biopsy to evaluate other causes of chronic hepatitis, but not specifically for HBV infection

Hepatit C
Negative Test results after a year