Dec 6, 2001
is it wise to go on interferon treatment if you have developed cirrhosis as a result of hep-c?
Response from Dr. Dieterich
Well, there is cirrhosis and cirrhosis. If the cirrhosis is stable and there is no fluid in the abdomen(ascites) or swelling in the feet(edema) or mental confusion (encephalopathy) it is reasonably safe. That is called compensated cirrhosis. The data in HIV negative persons suggest that there is a significant chance of cure of hepatitis C almost as high as in people without cirrhosis. If the cirrhosis is decompensated it is fairly risky to treat, however in an experianced liver MD's hands it is not totally crazy. I do do it under certain circumstances. DTD
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is White Discharge A Symptom Of HIV?
- How Likely Is It To Get AIDS From Sex With A Prostitute?
- Can You Contract AIDS From Blowjob From A Prostitute?
- Flu Symptoms After Sex With Hooker Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Vagina After Licking Rectum Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Penis Discharge After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.