am I at risk and should I tell the man in my life now

I was married to a man that has tested positive for Hepitis c. My problem is what kind of risk have I been at with having sex with him for the past 7 years. We are now divorced and There is someone new in my life do I need to be tested for Hepitis C. and should I tell this other person about it before we go any farther.Thank You.

Response from Dr. Fried

The risk of sexual transmission for hepatitis C is very low. However, it is not zero and you should be tested for hepatitis C. If the anti-HCV test is negative then you did not contract hepatitis C.

Within a monogamous relationship, there are no recommendations for changing sexual practices when one partner has hepatitis C. However, common sense and the level of comfort of each partner with the diagnosis should prevail.

Does combination-therapy effect fertility and future pregnancies?
Liver Biopsy & HepC