Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Does combination-therapy effect fertility and future pregnancies?
Nov 25, 2001

I'm 34 year old, married, mother of a 2-year old son and infected with chronic Hepatitis C, which I coincidently discovered after I volunteered to give blood. A liver punction showed fibrosis, stage 1.

My hepatologist advised me to start combination therapy (PEG-Intron + Ribavirine), and I want to follow his advise. I also want to volunteer for an Amantadine study against HCV, which means taking this medicine, or a placebo, during the Intron+Riba therapy.

My disease is off course the first thing that I focus on and I hope the therapy will cure me in the end. But I also feel my biological clock is ticking away and I would like to have another baby after the treatment(s). My docter said that it's safe to have a baby, six months after I will have stopped treatment(s). I asked him if there is a possible danger for my fertility or a future pregnancy after those six months. May PEG-Intron, Ribavirin and Amantadine cause problems in the long run? And have the long-term effects on fertility or pregnancies ever been studied?

I hope you can help me with more information.

Your's sincerely,

Susanne B.

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

AS you may imagine,there are no studies in pregnancy with RBV,and all the information we have is not from randomized studies.RBV is teratogenic,this is a fact,and its effects stay in the cells up to 6 months.This is because the drug will be around for that long.After that ,there are no reports to suggest further problems.IFN,will be out of your system much earlier. You need to understand that you will be then unable to conceive safely for 18 months or more.If you have so limited disease there is no urgency to have therapy at this point,and you may opt to have your baby first.There is no significant progression in the severity of the liver histology, in the majority of the cases for2-3 years.

Previous
IS IT CONCLUSIVE
Next
am I at risk and should I tell the man in my life now

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.