Pegasys vs Peg Intron

My husband has hep c. The only exposure was over 8 years ago. His PCR showed a viral load of 362 last year. This year it is barely detectable. He had a liver biopsy that showed some scarring, (he also had an alcohol problem years ago and the doctor said it could be attributed to that) The doctor suggested starting Peg Intron with Ribavrin soon. His friend that has it, (they traced it back 20 years, no liver biopsy) has a much higher viral load, but his doctor suggest no treatment right now. My question, does it seem like a better decision to wait until next year for Pegasys treatment? What is the difference between Peg Intron and Pegasys? His liver panel is just slightly elevated, His friend's is drastically elevated. Our gastroenteroligist is known for being very cautious and sometimes overtreating to err on the side of caution. He is leaving the decision up to us. He believes even if you do not have damage and have no viral load, you should immediately start treatment. What is your advise, should we opt to wait?

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

I advise you to get another hepatologist's opinion.There is no indication for treatment if there is no detectable PCR.This test measures the live virus in your blood ,and the purpose of therapy is to kill the virus.If your husband has barely detectable viremia ,he should repeat the test in 6 months ,and then decide on basis of the result,and the HCV histology changes.PegIntron/RBV has a lot of side effects,and should only be used when indicated.

HVC infection & time to treatment.
PCR test and HBV status