For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Hepatitis B tests

My boyfriend and I have had unprotected sex and he gave blood recently and they mailed him a letter that said he had a 50 50 chance of having hep. B and he got tested and they said he has the antibodies of it could he have given it to me?

Response from Dr. Fried

Your physician would need to get the exact test results that were done in order to determine whether your boyfriend has chronic hepatitis B (there is risk of transmission) or had resolved the infection (No risk of transmission). There is no guesswork for hepatitis B blood tests, the proper tests need to be ordered and they need to be interpreted correctly.

We are moving toward universal vaccnation for HBV (beginning with children in whom HBV vaccine is now recommended). Since almost every adult is potentially at risk for hepatitis B infection through sexual contact, hepatitis B vaccine is a good idea for most people. Check with your doctor.

The Future Hep C
Hepatitis C genotype info