Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Understanding Liver Biopsy Results
Nov 24, 2001

Dear Doctor,

First, I want to say how much I appreciate this service that you provide. You are a lifesaver! I am a 41 year old coinfected female (HIV/HCV). My HIV is asymptomatic and I am in good health. I recently had my second liver biopsy (first one was three years ago). The diagnosis was "Chronic Hepatitis with Grade 1 Inflammation and Stage 1 Fibrosis". The footnote reads, "The trichrome and reticulum stains show mild portal fibrosis. PAS/DPAS and iron stains are unremarkable." The biopsy I had three years ago had a diagnosis of "Chronic Hepatitis with Grade 1 Inflammation and Stage 0 Fibrosis". The footnote read, "PAS, D-PAS, iron, trichrome and reticulum stains are unremarkable." Are these good biopsy results? Is my HCV progessing in the three years between biopsies? Would you suggest starting the Peg-Intron? (I am a type 3). Or can I hold off on the meds in the hopes something better will come out? Is there a chance I may never progress beyond where I am now; that my liver will stay stable; the same? Thanks in advance for any info you can share!!

Response from Dr. Fried

Liver biopsy results are reported using a variety of scoring systems. Assuming this is a scale of 0-4, Grading reflects the degree of inflammation or irritation, while Stage reflects the degree of fibrosis. Stage 4 would indicate cirrhosis. From your description, you have mild inflammation and minimal fibrosis which is very encouraging. There may have been a very slight increase in fibrosis compared to the report of your earlier biopsy. Nevertheless, it appears mild. However, it is difficult to predict with certainty the likelihood of progression in a disease like hepatitis C that may progress over many years.

You are fortunate that you are a genotype 3, since the sustained virological response is always significantly better for genotypes 2 and 3, approaching 75-80% with the newer pegylated interferons plus ribavirin. All this should be factored into your decision to begin therapy after a discussion with your physician or other healthcare provider.

Previous
ompliance with interferon therapy
Next
tattooed lady

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.