From China

Dear Doctor Dieterich, I forgot to told you that I lived in China for almost 20 years and recently moved to the US and then went back for business. You mentioned about that "There is a rare thing found more often in China called the pre-core mutant, where the e antigen is negative and there is still virus there." How often does this happen? You used "rare thing" and "more often" which makes me confused. Is the situation you mentioned above considered chronic? IF so, is it harder to treat than HCV?

My last question would be: which hepatitis is harder to cure: chronic HBV or chronic HCV?

Thanks again!

SIncerely, Eibel

Response from Dr. Dieterich

The pre core mutant of hepatitis B is found as often as 20% of the time in parts of China. In the US, it is about 5%. It is more difficult to treat than hepatitis B or C for that mattter. If you are concerned, just ask to be tested for it. Good luck! DTD

HCV Vaccine etc.
ompliance with interferon therapy