Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Re: Diagnosed HCV at 10 Weeks
Nov 23, 2001

Dear Dr. Dieterich, Thanks for your reply. I heard of interferon alpha 2 (?) and pegylated inteferon etc. Which particular interferon should be used for newly infected HCV people? I don't know which one my doctor gave me. The side effects are so severe! Could it cause deformity to a person after 6 months of treatment? Could you tell me what I should expect after HCV is cured (if I am lucky)? Thanks again for your time! Doctors, doctors, you are the human-savers of the sick!!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

I would use pegylated interferon for acute hepatitis C now, which is once per week and easier to take. The data just published in the New England Journal used the older interferon preparation. There should be no long lasting problems with interferon. The half life of the drug is reasonably short and should all be gone in a few weeks at the longest. Good luck. That article suggests that the chances of a cure are in the high 90's for treating the acute infection! DTD

Previous
Hepititis c and plasma
Next
Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C Antibody Tests

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.