Re: Diagnosed HCV at 10 Weeks

Dear Dr. Dieterich, Thanks for your reply. I heard of interferon alpha 2 (?) and pegylated inteferon etc. Which particular interferon should be used for newly infected HCV people? I don't know which one my doctor gave me. The side effects are so severe! Could it cause deformity to a person after 6 months of treatment? Could you tell me what I should expect after HCV is cured (if I am lucky)? Thanks again for your time! Doctors, doctors, you are the human-savers of the sick!!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

I would use pegylated interferon for acute hepatitis C now, which is once per week and easier to take. The data just published in the New England Journal used the older interferon preparation. There should be no long lasting problems with interferon. The half life of the drug is reasonably short and should all be gone in a few weeks at the longest. Good luck. That article suggests that the chances of a cure are in the high 90's for treating the acute infection! DTD

Hepititis c and plasma
Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C Antibody Tests