Peg combo plus Amantadine

2 years ago I did 6 months of the regular combo treatment with no good results, just bad side effects. My Doctor advised me to stop the treatment because of my weight loose of >15 of my body weight. I now have been approved for the new study with pegalated interferon, Ribovin, and Amantadine. What do you think of this study? Is it worth risking being in the placebo group or wait until this trio is approved? Is this date in sight? I am Genotype II with a very small amount of liver damage. Working on a GI unit in a Dallas Hospital, I see everyday the horrible damage this disease causes. Thank you for your reply.

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

The most recent data available with Pegasys and Peg Intron /RBV combos for non responders is around a 20% clearance for true non responders and 50-60% for relapsers.The data with amantadine plus combo showed a 40% end of treatment response,but still need to see how many of these patients,relapse. The side effects will be less with Pegasys.It is difficult to advise you at this point, because non responders may need longer periods of treatment, and also ethnics can impact your response.Clinical studies are the way we answer all this questions,but if you do not have significant damage at this point ,I would advise you to wait till next years data.Please do not tell my fellow researcher about my advise.

biopsy or not?
IMPORTANT- Husband has HCV-we shared needles, but I am negative, how?