Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

biopsy or not?
Nov 21, 2001

Several family members have been diagnosed with Hep C due to vaccine we all took 20 years for Hep B (gamma globulin). Every one of our doctors advised biopsy. Now an unrelated friend is diagnosed and her doctor tells her, her numbers are not high enough to worry about and it is up to her to have the biopsy as she may never get sick but the treatment is miserable. My doctor says this is terrible advise, that every positive diagnosis must be followed with biopsy. Is my friend's doctor not very knowledgeable or is my doctor over zealous?

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

I think that you should follow your doctors advise.Neither the ALT ,or the viral load correlate with the severity of the liver disease.The only test that will tell exactly how sick is the liver, and if therapy is needed at this time, is the liver biopsy. It is true that only from 15-30% of all cases will go on to develop cirrhosis and liver failure and cancer.The only way to sort out which cases have more risk of beeing in this group is the biopsy. Follow your doc ,seems that he knows what he is doing.!!

Previous
pcr for hep c question
Next
Peg combo plus Amantadine

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.