The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hepatitis in China
Nov 14, 2001

Dear Dr. Dieterich, I heard that the Chinese have some strange names for the hepatitis B. They have the "Big-Three-Positive" and the "Small-Three-Positive" for HBV. The latter is chronic. Do you think the PCR DNA and RNA tests are available in China? Are these tests very cutting-edge types? Is there any other test that can dianose chronic HBV besides the PCR? Before the discovery of these tests, how did doctors find out that their patients had chronic hbv? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

I don't know if they have PCR in general medical care, but they certainly do in the research labs and in Hong Kong. The presence of HBSAg and e Ag are generally enough to make the diagnosis. DTD

Touch possibly HCV body fluid. Your advice please!
9 months and counting

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint