caregiver to hep c hubby

My husband has hep c and had a liver transplant in 98 and then the hep c came back worse. He was put on combo and only made 6 months, on it and had to have transfusions. Then after 6 months the dr put him on Interferon shots for a year he's still undetected but now is having renal failure.and all of the other things that go along with this, water retention and so on. He has no energy and sleeps alot of the time he's still able to go to work for how much longer we don't know. I was tested 2 years ago for hcv. Do I need to keep getting tested? I think it was in 97 when I was last tested. I wear gloves anytime I have to tend to my hubby, we don't share anything at all nothing. But now all of a sudden he wants me to pardon my language but he wants me to Jack him off. I'm scared to what if? My hands are ruff and calloused from working with livestock is there a chance I could have problems down the line? Plus his creatinine goes up to 2.8 then 2.4 up and down. I'm scared we've been married 15 yrs and we found out back in 95 or 96 it's all a blur everyone has a different story, tell me yours please!!!!!!!P.R.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear P.R. Hepatitis C is very poorly transmitted sexually. Clearly you did not catch it in 15 years of marriage and I presume you had intercourse several times in that time. There is a very low likelihood that there is hepatitis C in semen and when it is there it is in very low quantities. Knowing all of this, the CDC recommends that married couples do not change their sexual practices after finding out one partner is positive. What your husband is requesting is a very low risk activity even in HIV. Heterosexual intercourse is also a very low risk activity. Blood is the real risk, so be careful of that. Good luck! DTD

RE: With regards to HCV affecting HIV window?
Chances of Being Cured of Hep C