RE: With regards to HCV affecting HIV window?

This is in response to the question dated Oct 15, about the window period for HIV affected by HCV infection.

When would it be safe to take the antibody test for HIV if the window period is indeed delayed by hepatitis infection. The PCR test is out of the question, it is too expensive. So when can I take the usual antibody test and be assured that I am not infected with HIV?

If I were to take an antibody test for heptitis B, when can I take it to be sure that I am free of the disease? What about for hep a and hep c?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

There is no certainty in this world. However generally speaking the HIV and HCV antibodies usually appear in about 90 days. So if you waited for 180 days your chances are pretty good at picking up Hepatitis A,B,C and HIV. DTD

how the government deals with injected drugs
caregiver to hep c hubby