how the government deals with injected drugs

I am 14 years old and I am doing a research paper on whether or not the government should supply clean syringes to addicts, I would like to recieve some information on any drug or anything related to this topic. Should the government supply clean syringes to adicts?

Thank you, A.B.Tashjian

Response from Dr. Dieterich

The government has been sponsoring some programs to exchange needles for drug users. There is very evidence that this does not lead to more drug use. It also seems to cut down the spread of HIV and HCV. If these people are using drugs anyway, I see little reason not to help them get clean syringes. In the process, you may be able to help them get into treatment programs for drug addicion or to test them for HIV and HCV and offer them treatment for that. What do you think? DTD

casual contact
RE: With regards to HCV affecting HIV window?