Test results 200/ml

Dear Doctor Dieterich,

As you suggested because of confusing results from my Hep B panel I requested my Doctor do a HBV DNA by PCR. The results were 200/ml. My other test results showed HBsAg positive and IgG positive, negative for Surface Antibodies and Negative for IgM. I'm still confused but I believe that the 200/ml is a good sign. I don't have or suffer from any symptoms and all my other blood work was fine (normal) including my liver enzymes. However my Doctor is not very knowledgeable about Hep B and suggested I see a GI as he is unsure of exactly how to interpret my test results. I have made the GI appointment, but could you tell me if my results sound optimistic or should I be worried I'm a contagious carrier.

Thanks for all you help

Response from Dr. Dieterich

That is very good news. By PCR any level of HBV DNA less than 50,000 is certainly not significant and maybe as high as 280,000 copies. This means that you have cleared the virus yourself and generally should not need treatment, but I always follow my patients about once a year for ultrasound and alfa fetoprotein for cancer screening. Good luck and Congratulations, you did it! DTD

Level of hep c
Can you please explain my results?