Can you help?

Hello Doctors. I am a 44 yo male, who was diagnosed 4 years ago with full blown aids. My VL has been undetectable now for 3.5 and cd4 now at 400 (was 0-3) My dr. had me on crix, zerit and epivir and a few antibiotics for MAI. As of 1 year ago this month my dr. switched me to sustiva, with no side effects at all. This past month or so I have been losing weight and very nauseous. When I last saw my dr. a week ago he seemed very concerned that maybe I have liver toxicity from the sustiva. So he did a blood test to check it. Is it possible after one year, I now have this problem? I was blaming it on allergies and a nasal drip I have that was causing me to be feeling this way. I know sinus problems could make you feel this way. I was also switched to combivir on my last visit, and now taking androgel for low normal testosterone. I was doing so well these past 3 years or so, that I think I might be making myself feel worse by worrying so much. Any thoughts you may have on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bob

Response from Dr. Fisher

First, do you have evidence of liver problems? Have you been tested for hepatitis C or B? The antiretrovirals in general can cause liver toxicity especially in the face of hep C. Sustiva is relatively safer than others but not completely innocent. I assume the androgel is new as it is new to the marketplace, but have you had other testosterone treatment? If so that could be part of the problem too.

And what about the MAI? What are you on? Can you come off? Check with your doc. But the first point is the most important: do you actually have evidence of liver toxicity (blood tests, ultrasound or CT scan)?

Alvan Fisher, M.D.

Fat distribution & meds
produce and HIV