For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Side Effects & Cure Rate Using Pegylated Interferon for Hep C

I have Hepatitus C; Geneotype 3A and viral load of 407,000. My last biopsy showed Stage 2 of 4 in 1999. What is the cure rate and side effects of Pegylated Interferon? My Dr. is recommending I try this treatment. Please respond.

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

Peg Intron and RBV -82%sustained response.Rebetron-79%(No changes with the Peg in your genotype, which is the more favorable,and you also have a low viral load another good prognostis sign.) Pegasys and RBV-76%Most probably around the same,as these studies are intention to treat,and all increase the % when you evaluate the patients that actually received the drug. In the side effects, there is a difference :Peg-Intron has more adverse effects than Rebetron.It is in the drug insert. PEgasys on the other hand ,has lower side effects in all the parameters;significant in less rigors,nausea,insomnia,etc. You have the best chance for response!!!.GO FOR IT.

Hep C coming back?
Hepatitis C and Crohn's