Hepitis-C

My husband has hep-c and I cannot find what the symptoms are when it begins to progress. He is not on treatment, but although he works out he seems to be getting a "tummy" on him and he's really exhausted, plus he seems not to remember at times. He is 65 and was diagnosed 4 years ago. Please help me know what to look for.

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

The thing is: you cannot wait for the symtoms.Hepatitis C is an asymptomatic disease,and when the patient shows symptoms,these are referable to advanced liver disease and cirrhosis.THe symptoms are :swelling of the legs,abdomen,yellow eyes or skin,red lessions of skin,easy bleeding from gums,skin orgastrointestinal bleeding. Your husband should go to his doctor and request a full evaluation of the condition of the liver now.This will include a liver biopsy to see how much damage he has ,and to see if he is a candidate for treatment. If your husband is in good overall health,and has no severe cardiac or respiratory disease ,his age is not an exclussion for treatment.Every patient has to be individually considered.Good luck.

Irresponsible HCV
Thank you!