New Treatment for Hep C

I was diagnosed with HCV about a year an a half ago and at that time my doctor adivsed me that, considering my condition, I should wait until this new drugs was approved. I just saw my doctor again a week ago and she said that the drug was just approved by the FDA and should be available shortly after the first of the year. I was just curious what this treatment consists of, do I take a pill three times a day or give myself a shot? Also what are the side effects, will I become more fatigued? I was also told that there is a possibility my hair could fall out...is this true? Basically I just want to know how the treatment will effect me. Thanks!

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

The new drugs for HCV are the pegylated interferons;Peg Intron and Pegasys.Both are used in combination with Ribavirin;oral tablets every day plus once a week injection.Peg-Intron and Rebetol (Ribavirin), are already available in the market,Pegasys will be available next year. The side effects are the same in all interferons,probably more with Peg Intron than Pegasys.Fatigue,anemia, depression,joint pains etc.Your doctor needs to explain to you, all the possible side effects in detail,and most of them can be resolved or ameloriated by symptomatic treatment. You do not give more information about your other medical conditions,that may be affected by the treatment.The majority of patients can tolerate the therapy and do well.

Hepatitus Contact, HAART Holiday
Irresponsible HCV